- Depot: 270 B.C.-260 B.C.
- Entdeckung: 1922
- Disposition: The evidence is confused. The Vlasto Cat. records nos. 711-2, 721, 744, 854, 916-8 as from Lot B (N. 1057); of these, however, only one variety (no. 744) appears in Borelli's list. On the other hand all these varieties, except no. 854, are represented in Vlasto's list of Lot A; nos. 916-8, all fdc are particularly significant, because Lot A included 8 fdc examples of this variety. Turning to Lot A, the Vlasto Cat. records only no. 796 as from this source; this is surprising because Vlasto's gift of 1 Thurium and 2 Croton to the BM (editorial note to Vlasto NC 1922) strongly suggests that Vlasto himself had acquired the whole of Lot A, and given away the nonTarentine coins which did not interest him. A further complication is that Vlasto Cat. attributes nos. 919-23 (die varieties of 916-8) to N. 1058; this is impossible for N. 1058 (Molossian find) included nothing later than Per. IV. There can be little doubt that Cat. 916-8 (attributed to N. 1057) and 919-23 (attributed to N. 1058) are together the 8 examples of Per. VIII, L3 listed in N. 1056. Finally Cat. 854 (Per. VIII, B1), a variety which is to be found in neither Lot A or B, could derive from either no. 2000 or no. 1998 below. The most probable conclusion is that Lots A and B constitute a single hd. found in 1922, and that Lot A represents a selection acquired by Vlasto before Borelli listed the remainder. Disposition can be reconstructed as follows: London ex Vlasto 3 (1 Thurium, 2 Croton); Vlasto 12 (Cat. 711-2, 721, 744, 916-23).
- Beschreibung: Stater: 69, Drachme: 18, Fraction: 4
- Beschreibung: Taranto environs, Calabria
- Falls Within: Taranto (Italy)
- Ancient Place: Taras/Tarentum/Neptunia
- Typ: inhabited places
- Zitat: Vlasto, NC 1922, pp. 245-7 (Lot A = N. 1056)
- Zitat: Borelli, Miscellanea Num. 1922, pp. 4-7, 60 (Lot B = N. 1057)